Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bizaar Foods


I think that everyone has a story about that signature dish that they ate as a child. Maybe it was good, maybe it wasn't, but there was that one meal that you always remember.


Me, JR and one of our friends had this discussion yesterday. For me, the signature dish was "red beans and rice"...not as a side dish, but as a complete meal. I hated it! I just wish that there was a side dish that would have accompanied it, so that I could have just eaten that. Unfortunately, everyone else in the family loved it, so it seemed like we had it all the time. I would gag at the table, too. It would make my mom want to slap me, but I really couldn't help it.


JR's signature dish was a (when we were poor) dish. It didn't have a name, but it consisted of sliced white bread with cream of mushroom soup poured over the top as the "gravy". We laughed about it, but JR said that for him it was a treat, because he loved his gravy bread dinner.


Our friend's dish was also a (when we were poor) dish, however, his parents weren't poor when he had to eat it, they just made it to reminisce on when they were poor and to let their children have the experience, too. He called his dad to let him give us the ingredients..which his dad remembered well....it had a can of diced tomatoes, mayo, a dash of sugar, and soda crackers. I laughed that he remembered the "dash of sugar" ingredient. Unlike JR, our friend didn't enjoy this dish...the thought of it repulsed him, but I think that he plans to torture his future children with it just to keep the legacy of the dish alive.


Food is so much fun!

2 comments:

mollie said...

hahaha this is so funny... i LOVED red beans and rice... it was my favorite and you hated it! haha i had forgotten... sorry kel...

i didnt know you and jr had a "poor" dish??? were yall ever that poor??? but it sounds disgusting.

my dish would have to be cabbage and sausage or that egg noodle beef stuff mom would make sometimes... yick!!!

Shannon Stewart said...

The bread and gravy was fabulous. I loved it too. But what it actually was, was the leftover soup from when Mama made stew beef or something like that, and the meat got eaten, she would save the gravy for the next day. That woman could streth out our groceries and make a meal last us for a week!