Thursday, May 27, 2010

To Have a Servant Heart

For some reason, WalMart has a way of bringing out the worst in me. If I need to get a good idea of what part of my character that I need to work on to become a better person, I just make a trip to WalMart. It always reveals the evil that lies within. Usually, it is my lack of patience that really shines through, but today I discovered something else.

As I was leaving the store with my shopping cart, I could see my car in plain view. I could also see that someone had left their shopping cart behind my car. Apparently, they were parked beside me and after loading their stuff into their trunk, they just pushed their cart two feet away and left it behind mine. Thanks Mr. Helper! Over the next 2-3 minutes, so many evil thoughts of how much that I hated that person crossed my mind. It is truly too ugly to put into this blog exactly what I thought and felt for that individual.

So, after my conscience got the best of me, I decided that I needed to see it as an opportunity. It was an opportunity to learn to have more of a servant heart and a chance to try to love my neighbor. I really am trying. So, as I returned two carts to the respective spot, I tried to do it as though I was doing an act of service or an act of kindness towards the person who was unable to muster up the energy to walk an extra thirty feet.

On another note, I did crossfit for the first time Tuesday. I really like it and hopefully will try it again this weekend. I would have done it today, but my body is too sore from Tuesday, so I opted for a regular trip to the gym, which is much less intense. I have been working out regularly for the past two weeks and I am hoping that my aggression towards people will become less over time.

No comments: